Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Headline: Intense Storm Lashes City

Kia Ora!

The headlines say it all: "Freak Storm Wreaks Havoc in City".

This was supposed to be a "fine day" and it was warm enough for a light jacket. The Kiwi Consort and I had a date for lunch at the tea house in Queens Park. Peering to the south west, dark clouds indicated I had best take my rain wear for my walk in the park before lunch. In 10 minutes, I felt the first drops. Not much. I kept walking. It got steadier and I unpacked the rain jacket and put it on. Now it was a steady serious rain. I stood under trees in the park thinking it would slow down. As I stood there, I felt safe standing under a tree in the rain as thunder and lightening quite rarely if ever occurred in Invercargill. Certainly it hadn't in my two summers here. The rain looked as if it wasn't going to let up so I splashed on deciding to go to the tea house early ... if I could find it. The park is large and I sort of know where it is but I usually flounder a bit getting oriented. Today my orientation was good. As I approached the tea house I noted people streaming to the tea house from every direction. The place was packed as we all sought shelter from the rain.


After lunch, the rain had stopped and I headed for Windsor Street to purchase a newspaper at the corner convenience store. Then I heard a distant rumble. Was that thunder? A louder rumble. Indeed! I quickened my pace to get my errand done before the rain resumed. I barely made it home when the crashing was immediately overhead and the sky became very dark. This was completely unpredicted. The wind intensified. Torrents of rain slashed sideways. Then I heard the first ping, ping, ping on the metal overhang at the front door. Soon the pings were a tattoo and then a roar. Heaps of small size hail piled up in the grass, in the street, and on the walkway. Initially I thought it was a wonderful storm. I parted the lace curtains and pulled my chair up in front of the window to appreciate its awesomeness. I was one of very few enjoying this spectacle.

In centre city, the hail blocked drain pipes and storm sewers. The drain pipes backed up and water spilled into attics and poured through light fixtures in many stores and businesses. The storm sewers could not handle the heavy water burden and the streets were flooded. Clerks ran around soaking up water with towels and placing buckets as well as they could. There was no happiness in centre city.


There was one fatality from a lightning strike. A horse alone in its paddock on Racecourse Road about 8 blocks from our location was struck instantly dead, its blanket smoldering on its back.

Soon it was over as quickly as it had appeared and all was at peace again. I will be more circumspect in the future about standing under trees in the rain, even in Invercargill.re

Cheers,
Kiwi Traveler

No comments: