Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Overnight at Mount Cook


Kia Ora!

A good night's sleep at The Hermitage, $19.00 each for continental breakfast (NZ is rather an expensive place to travel and eat), and we are ready for adventure. There are two glaciers to be explored; we opt for the Tasman glacier since there is time for only one. We must be on our way back to Timaru this day (Sunday).

We drive out to the trail head. I pointed out to KC (Kiwi Consort) that it was perfectly safe now; there are no orcs. (This is a reference to the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, in case you missed that.)
No orcs in sight
 
There were two options: a trail to view the glacier and Blue Lake and a trail to a mountain lake jetty. KC and I started up the first trail, but when it appeared to go straight up, KC decided to walk the jetty trail. It appeared to be mostly  flat and for him that was a wise decision. I continued on up and up to see what there was at the top of this mountain. Well, small mountain listed as a 30 minute hike. It took me an hour. I kept telling myself going up hill was easier on the knees than going down. That was not comforting, but I was determined I could do this. About 2/3 of the way up, a split in the trail took one down to Blue Lake and the other went up.

At the overlook for Blue Lake, I stopped to chat with some folks with their cameras and tripods. Don't cha' know, they were from Rochester, Minnesota. "You
Blue (?) Lake
 
The solo climber
 
betcha'!" they said. Together we wondered why Blue Lake was green. They didn't know any of my cousins. However one of the photographers offered to take this picture of me, since I was climbing solo. 

I continued on. A mature woman, much younger than me I'm sure, said "These young people can zip up this trail in 15 minutes, but I'm going to take my time." Then she zipped by me. I plodded on, questioning my sanity all the way. Toward the top, the trail became scree and boulders, to be picked through very carefully.

Dirty glacier
 
When I got to the top, there was a strong wind. Bracing myself, I pulled my camera out to record that I actually made it. So there is the glacier, that very dirty ridge at the bottom of the mountain along the water line. Looking in the other direction, one can see ice bergs floating in the brown water. I do not know why the water is this color.
Ice bergs, not rocks

Now it was time to descend. That I did easily in about 10 minutes. Most of my angst about this tramp was mental! I feared I would find KC impatiently waiting for me. I couldn't find him. About 15 minutes later, he came dragging back from his flat path. "It was at least 4 miles," he said. (It was listed at less than half that.) He was exhausted, and I knew my quads would be feeling this climb for a few days. Returning to the village, we lunched at Alpine Mountain Cafe (cheaper) and returned to Timaru, tired.

Cheers,

Kiwi Traveler

No comments: