Search This Blog

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Jet Lagged in Timaru

Kia Ora!

Jet lag is a given in global travel. I am back in our comfortable home in Timaru feeling a bit listless. Sleep on a 12-hour overnight flight, even using a sleeping prescription, is fitful at best. So how does one deal with jet lag?

My formula is to resist sleeping during daylight hours, spending as much time as possible in sunlight. Of course, if it is overcast and raining, as it was when I landed in Christchurch yesterday, one settles for what light filters through the clouds.

Today the sun broke through in the afternoon and KC and I went to Caroline Bay park for a walk. Exercise is energizing and helps dispel the temptation to sleep, though a limited nap can be refreshing.

Coffee or tea is helpful, but I take no other supplements. In years past, when I did a lot of international travel, I kept myself caffeine-free so I could use the effect of coffee as an antidote to jet lag after arrival. I can't say that was very effective, but I thought so at the time.

Keeping busy with non-strenuous or easy tasks seems to work well. I intend to take note how long before my full energy returns. We have visitors arriving from the United States in September. I want to be sure they recover from jet lag before unleashing the  full tourist's itinerary that I am planning on them.

Cheers,
Kiwi Traveler

No comments: