Search This Blog

Saturday, October 19, 2013

I'll Drink to That!



Kia Ora!

"My name is Keren." The tall, blond woman introduced herself and inquired about the four of us.

Spring vines just leafing out
We were about to embark on a wine tour of selected Central Otago vineyards. Central Otago, with mountains, rivers, and high desert, is a location of micro-climates, which favors several varieties of wine grapes. KC and I are partial to this region's wines.

Keren asked if we knew where we wanted to go. I have been on one of Keren's tours before and was ready with an answer. "Peregrine and Carrick would be good, and as for the remaining two, you can choose."

With that, we were off to whatever Cellar Doors would welcome us. First stop was Peregrine, the
Barb samples Peregrine wines
name chosen seems to reflect the owners' promotion of good environmental practices. We sipped, commented, inquired about shipping. I noticed the lovely wine glasses with the Peregrine logo etched on the outside. Did they sell their wineglasses? Yes! I bought one for my collection of wineglasses.

"If you order 6 bottles, we ship free," said the woman behind the counter.

Can I resist a bargain like that? Absolutely not! We picked out 6 we agreed on and I ordered them shipped to Timaru. I am a happy big spender today.

Next was Carrick, where we had a lovely, light lunch. With a glass of wine, of course. KC loves the pinot noir from Carrick; I am not so charmed with any of their samples today. But I bought their etched wine glass.
Lunch at Carrick Vineyard: Sarah, KT, Sue, Barbara

Owner in France; his Mom tends shop
Aurum was new to me though I have seen their products in stores. (Timaru District grocers carry a fine selection of wines.) We loved the samples we tasted. And they have the same free-for-six-bottles shipping deal. How can we resist? Another half case headed to Timaru. It will be a jolly time when we get back to Timaru. Oh yes, I bought their wine glass also. These cannot be shipped so now I am carrying around 3 wine glasses for the rest of Tour d' South Island.

Our last stop was to Mt Rosa Cellar Door. Here we met the former farmer and now vintner owner staffing his own sales room, with a catchy poster of himself on
Note boots in poster. Is he from Texas?
the wall. Perhaps we had been sipping so much our tongues were jaded, but the wine seemed "young". Finally he served us a sample from a thermos--mulled wine! It was lovely and that I could buy and carry with us for a relaxing evening later in the week.(Why do I feel like I must purchase something at each place?)

I love these Central Otago wines, so I inquired about shipping to the United States. Not counting the cost of the wine, which is substantial, a flat rate for shipping would be $275.00 plus whatever customs we may have to pay. That killed that idea.

Do you think California has anything to do with this exorbitant fee?

We have adventured through Southland, Fiordland, Otago, and Central Otago. Next we cross the Southern Alps.

Cheers,
Kiwi Traveler

No comments: