Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Where I Write

Kia Ora!


When KC and I move into a new NZ  town, we straightaway hie ourselves off to the public library and get our library cards. The first week in Timaru while waiting to have our home hooked up to the internet, I spent time daily at the Timaru District Library. It is lovely inside and out, where there is a fountain, red roses and statuary.

Unfortunately the main library smells of moldy books from someone's cellar, wreaking havoc with my nasal sensitivities. Thus, I spent my time in the children's section, which provided the amusement of watching children in addition to free internet access with my own laptop.
My spot in the children's library
Device by the TV




Now comes the embarrassing part of this story. Do you know what this device is?

Because it sat in front of the TV and no where near the desk area that had been set up for me, I thought it had something to do with the TV. A lovely woman came from Jim's employer (who is responsible for maintaining our flat) with a new modem to get me connected to the internet. As she opened the box she glanced up and said, "Oh, you already have a modem."


My writing space
"Huh?" said the unobservant and ignorant American. Yes, indeed, that device by the TV was a modem, already functional. Less than five minutes later I was on the internet in our home sitting at this small work area.

Cheers,

Kiwi Traveler

No comments: