Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

No Jet Lag?


Kia Ora!

We all bought in: Barbara, Sarah, Sue, KC and I. Traveling from New Zealand to the Central Time Zone USA is quite a long haul. Before KC and I left Timaru, I asked the three tourists who preceded us how the product worked. Consider this a tiny piece of research with an n=5.

Sarah and Sue wisely did not reply (introduces bias into research); Barbara quit the tablets as they upset her stomach. Now the n=4; the sample gets smaller.

I had read about this product to counter the inevitable jet lag. Then while browsing through a merino shop on Stafford Street in Timaru, the clerk, another customer and I chatted about travel. The other shopper swore by these tablets called No-Jet-Lag, a homeopathic preparation. I inquired at the chemist (pharmacy) and purchased a package for myself and one for KC for the sum of NZD 12.00 (USD 9.87) per package. Our American guests did the same.



The package calls this preparation "The Perfect Travel Companion." They say that it is natural and effective, with no side effects or interactions, with enough chewable tablets for 50 hours of flying (that sounds like hell!) The compound includes these homeopathic substances: arnica montana, bellis perennis, chamomilla, ipecacuanha, and lycopodium. Flyers are to chew one tablet on every take-off, every two hours in flight, and on every landing. Intervals of up to four hours are permissible if sleeping. The taste is not flavored, but not unpleasant either.

Perhaps I was not careful about those intervals or take-offs and landings. Regardless, these things didn't work for me. I am experiencing the worst case of jet lag than I can remember any time before this. This is day 11 and I am still having trouble sleeping at night. The daytime sleepiness was controllable after three days.

Final report of this small study sample, n=5: jet lag 4; no or limited jet lag 0, dropped from study 1.

Would I try this product again? Probably, I would. I quit taking the tablets when we encountered the disaster in Los Angeles. The extra stress that event caused, plus two uncovered time zones yet to go before landing in Texas may have diluted or negated the effectiveness of the homeopathic medication. 

If you would like to try this product, you can. They are available for purchase at Magellan's (www.magellans.com), a company specializing in travel products. Our catalog, which arrived in the mail yesterday, sells this product as well as Drink Ease (if you imbibe too much) and Trip Ease (for motion sickness.) The Magellan cost for No-Jet-Lag is USD 13.50, about 3.63 USD more than the NZD 12.00 I paid in New Zealand. For the cheaper price, you need to go to New Zealand, where these products are manufactured.

Cheers,
Kiwi Traveler

No comments: