Search This Blog

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The View From Our Timaru Home


Kia Ora!

Large living space with dining area
"Wow! This is the nicest flat we have ever had in New Zealand," I exclaimed as Moira, KC's boss showed us our Timaru flat. What impressed me most was the amount of natural light that flooded the rooms in which we would spend most of our time. Large walk out window/doors led to a small patio and garden.
Master bedroom





The kitchen was large with ample storage in cabinets and a pantry. This is the second time I have encountered this brand of apartment stove. The oven totally baffled me. I had to have a little in-service on how to work it both times. Once set, I never changed the settings for fear I couldn't get it to work again. The stove top is essentially four slooooow hotplates.
Lovely kitchen, confounding stove

Most bathrooms in kiwi homes separate the toilet area from the bathing area, a smart arrangement. Another common amenity is heated towel bars. This nicety I don't find particularly useful as the only warm part of the towel is the strip where it rested on the rod.The shower was endowed with strong water flow. The other unseen amenity was an extra-long bathtub.
Perfect location by a great shower




 Until our guests arrived in September, the second bedroom was used as an auxiliary clothes dryer and for storage.


99 North Street, our home


Our home was situated on the corner of busy North Street and Lisava Avenue, a 1/2 block long cul-de-sac. At night the traffic ceased for relatively quiet sleeping.


Caroline Bay and Pacific Ocean

Foothills of Southern Alps on a hazy day













One of the things that made Timaru living so special is the location. I could walk out my front door to North Street.  Looking east I saw the ocean; looking west there were the Southern Alps. Could life get any richer?

Cheers,

Kiwi Traveler writing from Austin TX

No comments: