Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

Timaru to Texas: Part I, An Uneventful Beginning


Kia Ora!

KC seems amazed at the number of bags
The commercial commuter van picked us up at our front door in Timaru to transport us to Christchurch Airport. We splurged on First Class tickets for over the water that not only gave us access to the First Class lounge all the way with food, make-your-own cocktails, beer, wine, and soft drinks, but allowed us each to check three bags of 50 pounds or less. We each had two carry-on items also.

Shades of Blue
The flight to Auckland was seamless. I always enjoy a window seat and particularly admired the many shades of blue from the water below to the stratosphere.




Follow the broad green stripe
One can take a bus in Auckland from the domestic terminal where we landed to the international terminal. But I have always been fortunate enough to have decent weather and chose to walk. Today was no different. The walkway is clearly marked by a green stripe. After the confines of an aircraft, walking feels great. We pushed our two loaded luggage carts on this 10-15 minute walk, about 1/2 mile.

On to Auckland and Air New Zealand Flight 6 to Los Angeles Airport (LAX.) All seemed as usual. If so, why had I felt compelled to document the contents of my three bags? And place a note in each bag of my address at the final destination so lost bags could be redirected? As I reviewed my expenditures on clothes and holiday gifts, I was over the customs allowance for two persons. Furthermore, I was transporting one-half liter too much wine. Rather than be fined for trying to beat the system, I recorded all of this and claimed my expenditures on the declaration form later with receipts to back up my claim. I planned to pay duty on the excess. I had an uneasy feeling that all would not be usual, but what?

Despite a flat space, sleep is difficult
I am always amused that the arrival time in Los Angeles is before we leave Auckland through the convention of the international date line. We left Auckland at 7:30PM on November 1 and arrived at LAX about 9:30 AM the same date. KC, at over 6'3", appreciated the stretched out overnight accommodation. I do not relax or sleep well no matter the accommodation. This trip was no different.
There the normality of the journey ended early the next morning before breakfast. As the Kiwis say, it all "turned to custard".

 ...to be continued...

Kiwi Traveler





No comments: